The Dangers of Xylitol

Xylitol is toxic to dogs

With the first day of fall arriving that means that we’re not only decorating but were doing a lot of baking! I wanted to write about a chemical that many may not know can be fatal to dogs and that is xylitol.

Xylitol is used as a sweetener and it’s very popular. It’s a safe alternative to sugar for many diabetics and many who are watching their sugar intake are using it, especially when baking.

Not only is the chemical extremely toxic even the smallest amount can be fatal to dogs. Many dogs have already died ingesting products that contained xylitol such as peanut butter and chewing gum.

Why Is xylitol Bad For Dogs? Dr. Langlois, medical director of Pet Pantry in Lancaster, says that “both liver damage as well as dangerous drops in a dog’s blood sugar level” occur when a dog consumes xylitol.  It basically causes life-threatening hypoglycemia. (rover.com)  The ASCPA shared their peer reviewed findings on xylitol consumption in canines, which can be viewed here.

There are many products that contain xylitol some peanut butter brands that have it are Nuts ‘n More, P28, and Nutty By Nature.   Xylitol may also be listed under other names such as Birch Sugar, E967, Meso-Xylitol, Méso-Xylitol, Sucre de Bouleau, Xilitol, Xylit, Xylite, Xylo-pentane-1,2,3,4,5-pentol. (rover.com)

If you purchase items with xylitol such as cand and/or gum, it’s important that you keep it out of your dog’s reach. Many toothpaste’s have it as well, make sure you only use toothpastes made specifically for dogs.   Sadly, many animals have gotten to them and have died due to xylitols toxicity. If you think your dog has ingested xylitol take them to an animal hospital as soon as possible!  Do not waste anytime, better safe then sorry!

Xylitol is toxic to dogs

Signs of xylitol toxicity include, loss of motor control, vomiting, weakness, tremors and/or seizures. Please be aware of how dangerous this is.

Currently, there is no antidote for xylitol toxicity, although treatment with IV fluids, sugar supplementation and liver protective drugs may be beneficial, but there is no guarantee. The most important thing is to keep these items out of your household and if you suspect that your dog has consumed it again take them to the hospital immediately.

Sadly, many people are unaware of this. Just this month a rescue dog named Benny, died after eating cupcakes that contained xylitol.

Please share this information with dog owners and any one else who may care for your dog.

 

 

 

Post Author:

Hello, my name is Bernie and this is my dog Ginger. I'm a pet sitter and I board dogs at my home. Welcome to my blog!
Follow Bernie